Workout Thursday: Elliptical 30 min + 30 min yoga/pilates/barre exercises at gym
Workout Friday: Recovery Day
Workout Today: Bootcamp 60 min outside in apartment complex
One of my favorite parts of living in our apartment complex are the free fitness classes. Yes, FREE! They offer bootcamp on Saturday morning and yoga on Monday night. I’ve been to a few yoga classes but it’s a beginners yoga class so I get bored quickly. The class I love going to is bootcamp and have been there almost every Saturday since it started in January. Another great part of bootcamp is working out outside in this courtyard:
(I forgot to bring my camera today so I’ll post more photos next weekend. )
I’m very thankful to live in Southern California where the weather rarely changes from 65-80 degrees and we hardly ever have to cancel. I don’t think they’ve ever cancelled class due to weather. They only had to move into a covered area because of a lightning, thunder and rain storm one Saturday.
Every week in bootcamp we do different exercises but follow a general pattern of warm-up, circuit training with stations, short runs mixed in and then a cool down stretch. Here’s what we did today:
- Warm-up: 2 rounds with 20 seconds of each exercise, 10 seconds rest – jumping jacks, squats, pushups, bicycle abs, scissor kicks for abs, supermans, flutter kicks on stomach, squat holds, football fast feet and a 1-minute jog around the path.
- Featured ab exercise: 7 rounds of bicycle abs with 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off and alternating between fast & slow rounds
- Main workout: “Cardio Insanity” is what I’d call today’s workout. Going in a large circle around the courtyard we had to do 10 pushups, basketball shuffles for 20 yards, 10 lunge jumps, and a 1 minute sprint to the end of the long courtyard and back. We all went at our own pace and it was a continual workout until time was up. I think I made it 8 or 9 rounds and my heart rate stayed at 70-80% of my max. Serious endurance workout for about 15(ish) minutes straight!
- Cool down with stretches
What I like about Bootcamp:
- Always a new and fresh workout routine
- Great mix of cardio and strength training
- Challenge yourself with every exercise
- Go at your own pace and intensity
- Total body workout
- Love working out with people in a team like format
- Met a lot of neighbors and made great friends!
- I love bootcamp but the only thing I’d like more of is core & stability work. That’s it!